Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What causes/cures fingernails that grow curved like claws?

As I get older, my fingernails tend to curve downward when they grow more than 1/8'; long. I've seen references on several websites that this ';may be an indication of serious heart or lung disease';, but have been unable to find anything more specific. I've tried biotin and B12, but don't notice any improvement.What causes/cures fingernails that grow curved like claws?
Clubbing of the fingers 鈥?fingertips widen and become round. Nails curve around your fingertips, more convex. Proximal nail fold feels spongy. Caused by enlargement in connective tissue as compensation for a chronic lack of oxygen. e.g. severe emphysema Lung disease is present in 80 percent of people who have clubbed fingers. It may also appear in chronic infections especially abscesses, lung cancer, chronic lung (chronic bronchitis, emphysema) and heart disease, longstanding TB, congenital heart disease, cyanotic, primary biliary cirrhosis.





Hippocratic fingers





Clubbing of fingers is a manifestation of a large number of systemic diseases.





Nail changes and that of the terminal phalanges give the 鈥渄rum stick鈥?appearance of nails.





Clinical Feature





Nail bulging





Convex curved nail in both longitudinal and transverse directions.





Thickened eponychium.





Diseases associated with clubbing:





Respiratory diseases : bronchiectesis, chronic bronchitis, bronchogenic carcinoma, emphysema, tuberculosis.





Liver diseases : biliary cirrhosis





Congenital heart diseases.





Nails in the course of chronic eczema: deformities, nail brittling,atrophic and hypertrophic changes may occure.





I found these sites quite useful when I was in cosmetology, and from experience of seeing this condition and knowing what is associated with it, I always tell my clients to seek medical advice! Good luck hun and I hope you are okay! If you need someone to talk to, feel free to e-mail me at Autumn_Anne@yahoo.com or IM me on the messenger. My ID is Autumn_Anne.What causes/cures fingernails that grow curved like claws?
I believe genetics have a lot to do with it.
talk to your doc next visit
u were not specific %26amp; precise, but it seems 'clubbing of nails' . it is seen in cardiovascular or respiratory diseases, %26amp; is cosequent of cyanosis. if ur cause of cyanosis is cured , it goes off of its own. pls visit a doctor .

No comments:

Post a Comment