Saturday, August 21, 2010

What is the health significance when fingernails begin to curve down shortly above the finger?

This indication pertains to a fifty year old woman who has only just experienced this indication for the first time.What is the health significance when fingernails begin to curve down shortly above the finger?
Here is a blurb from another site with a similar question as yours....





Question:


When my fingernails grow even a quarter of an inch, they begin to curve over the ends of my fingers. I wonder if this could be related to diet. I eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, but little meat. I take a multi-vitamin, calcium, zinc, and vitamin E.





Answer:


Fingernail growth patterns can vary due to a variety of things including heredity, disease, trauma, and nutrition. I am not aware of a single nutrient that would cause a curving of the fingernails, however one of my favorite resource books (The Essential Guide to Vitamins and Minerals by Elizabeth Somer, MA,RD) does offer some light on this subject. She states: ';Several nutrients are important in the maintenance of healthy nails. Nails become brittle, develop ridges, and crack easily when a person is deficient in iron. A long-term deficiency results in spoon-shaped nails. In addition, niacin maintains healthy nails. Nutrients that maintain a constant supply of nutrient-rich blood to the nails and nailbed are important for the strength and appearance of nails. The oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood is reduced and nails are more likely to grow slowly, split, peel, or break without an adequate supply of vitamin B6, vitamin B12, folic acid, vitamin C, copper, and iron.';


You may want to discuss this concern with your doctor and have a registered dietitian (RD) evaluate your diet for any possible nutrient deficiencies. If you are limiting your meat intake, you may be lacking in some key nutrients (such as adequate protein, vitamin B12, and iron). The RD can then recommend ways of obtaining the needed nutrients from food rather than relying on supplements. I hope that this is helpful to you. Good luck!What is the health significance when fingernails begin to curve down shortly above the finger?
Onychogryphosis (on-i-koh-greye-fo-sis)


Claw nails are those with extreme thickening, twisting or inward curving of the nail, often caused by an injury
I don't know. My child has had that type finger nail since birth. I thought it was hereditary. The Pediatrician says I just need to clip her nails right alter their growth %26amp; avoid their splitting. If I am not careful her nails split down the side to the root. Painful. If there was anything I could do to stop it, I would be thrilled to learn.
bad liver

No comments:

Post a Comment